Malabar Christian College
Malabar Christian College is the premier college in the Malabar
region which has a rich heritage and history leading back
to the seventeenth century.
This is a Co-ed College, managed by the Church of South India.
The college is affiliated to the University of Calicut. It
comprises the Pre-Degree, Degree and Post Graduation courses
in various departments having Malayalam and English as the
media of instruction.
The college has produced a wide
array of excellent students who have proved their mettle
in every facet of the society.
A walk through the history
The college had its humble beginnings in a Primary school
Started at Kallai, near Calicut, in 1848 by the Basel Evangelical
Missionaries from Basel, a town on the border to France, Germany
and Switzerland, with a strength of about 100 pupils in five
classes. This was the first school to teach English in Calicut
and the school was known as the B.G.E.M. Anglo-Vernacular
school. In 1859 the school was shifted from Kallai to the
heart of the town, east of Mananchira where the B.E.M. Girl's
High School stands now. As years went by, the school became
more and more popular, and in 1872 it was raised to a Middle
School. Three years later a new building was constructed for
the school and in 1878 the school was raised to a high school.
Mr. G.T.Verghese was the first Head Master of the High school.
Mr. Varghese was a man of outstanding ability and exemplary
Christian character and under his management the school progressed
The dawn of the twentieth century brought new problems. Expansion
of the classes was impossible in the existing building. so
in 1906, the school was shifted to the present building and
the old building was handed over to B.E.M. Girl's High Scchool.
In 1907, the management applied to the University of Madras
for the affiliation of the institution as a second grade college.
Thus in 1909, the first college class was opened with fifteen
students of whom two were women, The Rev. W. Mueller was the
first Principal and the college was called the Basel German
Mission College. In the intermediate course English, Malayalam,
Sanskrit, Kannada, Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Logic,
Ancient History and Modern History were the optional subjects.
In 1928 Indian History was added and in 1928 German.
In 1911 when Mr. Mueller went on furlough, Mr. W.E. Hoare,
M.A. (Oxon) was appointed principal. On his return furlough
in 1915 Rev.Mueller resumed office as Principal. With the
raising of the institution to the college level a hostel to
accommodate fifty students was constructed near the college.
within three or four years of the starting of the college,
it was decided to raise the college to the first grade level
and plans were prepared for a more spacious building. The
out break of World War 1 followed by the internment of the
German missionaries on the staff of the college interrupted
the plan to upgrade the college.
When in 1919 the Home Board of the Basel Mission withdrew
its missionaries from Malabar. The Madras Christian College
took over the management of the College. The name of the college
was then changed to Malabar Christian College. In 1920 Mr.
Hoare retired and Mr. Joseph Muliyil, B.A. who was then on
the staff of Madras Christian College, was appointed principal.
In the following year, Mr. Muliyil went back to Madras Christian
College, and Mr. F.N. Askwith M.A. (Cantab) was appointed
Principal. In 1972 the management of the college was again
taken over by the Basel Mission and Rev. A. Muench took charge
of the college Principal. He was succeeded in 1930 by Rev.
A .Streckeinsen who continues till 1935and was succeeded in
1935 by Dr. F. Melzor. After serving as the Principal for
two years Dr. Melzor left to take up evangelistic work and
Dr. T.H. lorch was appointed Principal.
After the formation of the Church of South India (CSI) on
September 27, 1947 the college also came under the CSI.MCC
Calicut is affiliated to the University of Calicut, Thenjipalam
The college is situated in the heart of Calicut city with
2 highways on either side. On the eastern side, the Wynad
Road and on the western side the Canannore Road. This easy
accessibility from all parts of the city, makes it convenient
for students from far and near to arrive at this institution
without much difficulty.
Although MCC Calicut, does not offer a wide choice of courses
and opportunities for higher studies, it did produce a number
of students who have brought fame for the insititution. Due
to its German/Swiss connection MCC Calicut offers German language
. It is one of the 3 institutions which offers German as second
language in college education in Kerala and the only insititution
in North Kerala which offers this foreign language.
B.A/B.Sc. Degree Course (3 years) . Each course consists
of 3 parts
Part 1 : English
Part 2 : Malayalam or Hindi or German
Part 3 : Optional subjects
B.A. History (main) Economics & Political science(subsidiary)
B.A. Malayalam(main)Sanskrit, Kerala History and Culture(subsidiary)
B.sc Mathematics (main) Statistics and Physics(subsidiary)
B.Sc Physics (main) Mathematics and Chemistry (subsidiary)
B.Sc Chemistry (main) Mathematics and Physics (subsidiary)
B.Sc Zoology(main) Chemistry and Botany (subsidiary)
M.A/M.Sc. Post-graduate Course (2 years)
MSc. Zoology with Entomology as special subject.
Malabar Christian College,
Great men have
treaded this way....
O.V.Vijayan, Dr. Ayyappapanikker, Jishi Samuel, Madhavanunni,
Gopal, Dr. Venu (IAS), Justice R. Basant, Dr. Varghese
Thomas, Prof. V M N Nambudiripad, Shri S.H. Balagovindan,
The list is not exhaustive. Please contribute names to add
to the list.
Ranganayaki from Hassan has contributed the name of Shri
S.H. Balagovindan to the growing list of the great men/women
of MCC Calicut. Thank You!
Please provide the email address, contact information or
website URL also so that a useful and comprehensive ex-student
list could be compiled.